Twig Science integration with Canvas provides teachers and students with access to all modules and assessments simply by signing into their Canvas account. When Canvas users install the Twig Science app, they will be able to use single-sign-on (SSO) to access Twig content from their Canvas account and use Assessment Grade Passback.
In this article we will look at:
- What do I need to know about Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) and Thin Common Cartridge (TCC)?
- What is the process for setting up integration with Canvas?
- When can I switch to Canvas?
- How do students and teachers login using Canvas?
What do I need to know about Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) and Thin Common Cartridge (TCC)?
For districts using Canvas and Twig Science, LTI integrations are now available via Thin Common Cartridge (TCC).
We support the following TCC versions:
What is the process for setting up integration with Canvas?
If your district requires integration with Canvas, a Imagine Learning Onboarding Agent will send instructions to the District Account Owner on how to receive and configure the Thin Common Cartridge.
The process is dependent on the exchange of data to and from the District Account Owner and the Imagine Learning Onboarding team to support the integration. The set up time should take no longer than 10 working days.
You will need to:
- Receive LMS Configuration URLs
- Set up New Developer Key In Canvas
- Provide Twig with the Canvas Client ID and Canvas Deployment ID
- Twig Science will provide you with the Thin Common Cartridge
- Add .singleintegration.com to your safelist.
1.Receive LMS Configuration URLS Twig Science Technical Support
- You will need a JSON URL Key and a Redirect URL key to enter in Canvas for the integration. These will be provided to you by Twig Science.
- Once you have the keys you can set up the new developer key in Canvas.
2. Set up New Developer Key In Canvas
- In Canvas, add a new Developer Key ~ LTI Key
- Populate the Key name and owner email.
- Choose Enter URL in the `Method` dropdown and paste the key below in the JSON URL field. Click Save.
- Now edit the key you just created and add the Additional Redirect URI under the first Redirect URL on the left.
Scroll down to LTI Advantage Services, expand and enable the Can retrieve user data associated with the context the tool is installed in toggle.
- From the list of Developer Keys, toggle state to On and copy the string above Show key.
- Go to Settings ~ Apps ~ View App Configurations ~ + App, choose By Client ID in the dropdown and paste key from above in the Client ID field, Submit and click ‘Install’.
3. Provide Twig with the Canvas Client ID and Canvas Deployment ID
To finish setting up Canvas you will need to provide the Canvas Client Id and Deployment ID to Twig Science.
- In Canvas, the Client ID can be found in the Developer Keys panel, above the “Show Key” button.
- In Canvas, the Deployment ID can be found in the External Apps panel by selecting the Deployment Id from the app dropdown.
- Copy and paste both IDs and send them to Twig Science.
4. Import the Thin Common Cartridge
After you have provided us with the correct Canvas Client Id and Deployment ID, we will provide you with the Thin Common Cartridge(s)to import. Follow the steps below to import the TCC.
- Log in to your district’s Canvas instance and navigate to your course.
- Click the Import Existing Content button on the right side.
- Select Common Cartridge 1.x Package from the Content Type selector.
- In the Source selector, click Choose File and attach the .imscc file from your computer or device provided by us.
- In the Content selector, select All content and then click Import. The Content will begin importing and appear in your course.
For more detailed instructions on using Canvas, see the resources available on the Canvas Knowledge Base.
5. Add .singleintegration.com to your safelist.
Once you have finished setting up Schoology, you will need to add the following to your safe list: .singleintegration.com
When can I switch to Canvas?
Districts that have already rostered via Twig Science for 2023 should continue as planned for the remainder of the year. However you can plan out the implementation with our Twig Science Tech Support Agent for the next academic year. To enquire about switching to a LMS please contact your Customer Success Manager to start the process.
How do students and teachers log in using Canvas?
Students and Teachers first log into Canvas using credentials provided by the district, then navigate to Twig Science app. They will not need any further credentials to use Twig Science.