Making sense of phenomena is an integral part of the Twig Science 6–8 curriculum. Each module in the program starts with either an Anchor Phenomenon for students to experience, describe, question, and ultimately explain, or an Engineering Design Challenge for them to define, question, and solve as they work through the lessons.
Students use a Phenomena Tracker to record and respond to Wonder Questions. Later, as they progress through the module, they use this tracker to develop explanations of the Anchor Phenomenon or solutions to the Engineering Design Challenge.
Students engage with and update trackers over the course of each module using the Wonder Questions Routine and Phenomena Tracker Design Tracker Routine. You can also update a class version of the tracker.
In this article we'll look at:
- How do I find the Phenomena Tracker?
- Phenomena Tracker overview
- How do I switch between class and student view?
How do I find the Phenomena tracker?
The Phenomena Tracker is available in the Digital Student View.
Follow these steps to navigate to the Phenomena Tracker:
- From your dashboard select Teach and Lesson Explorer.
- Then select your Grade, Module, Lesson and Session in the Lesson Explorer menu.
- In the session view select Student View and Digital.
- You are now viewing the student view of your chosen session. Here you can access student resources. Click on the Phenomena Tracker icon to open.
Phenomena Tracker Overview
The Phenomena Tracker consists of 4 different sections:
- Wonder questions
- Investigative Phenomena
- Anchor Phenomena
- Teacher Instructions
Teacher instructions provide a full breakdown of how to use the Phenomena Tracker in class.
How do I switch between class and student view?
When you open the Phenomena Tracker it will show the class tracker view. You can use this view to track class Wonder Questions. Use the drop down to view a student's Phenomena Tracker answers.