Twig Science integration with Schoology provides teachers and students with access to all modules and assessments simply by signing into their Schoology account. When Schoology users install the Twig Science app, they will be able to use single-sign-on (SSO) to access Twig content from their Schoology account and use Assessment Grade Passback.
In this article we will look at:
- What do I need to know about Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) and Thin Common Cartridge (TCC)?
- What is the process for setting up integration with Schoology?
- What are my rostering options, when using a LMS like Schoology?
- How do students and teachers log in using Schoology?
- Does my LMS Support Grade Passback?
What do I need to know about Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) and Thin Common Cartridge (TCC)?
For districts using Schoology and Twig Science, LTI integrations are now available via Thin Common Cartridge (TCC).
All Twig Science Thin Common Cartridge programs are IMS-global validated to show compliance with the following IMS specifications:
TCC v1.2 & v1.3
What is the process for setting up integration with Schoology?
If your district requires integration with Schoology, a member of the Imagine Learning Onboarding team will send instructions to the District Account Owner on how to receive the Thin Common Cartridge (Thin Common Cartridge® refers to one set of digital standards created by the IMS Global Learning Consortium to enable credentials required to access Twig Science content).
The time this process will take is dependent on the exchange of data to and from the District Account Owner and the Imagine Learning Onboarding team to support the integration. Imagine Learning Onboarding team to support the integration. The set up time should take no longer than 10 working days.
You will need to:
- Receive LMS Configuration URLs from Imagine Learning Onboarding Team
- Create new Dev app in Schoology
- Provide your Schoology Client Id to Imagine Learning Onboarding Team
- Import the Thin Common Cartridge (TCC)
- Add .singleintegration.com to your safelist
1. Receive LMS Configuration URLs from Imagine Learning Onboarding Team
We will send you an email containing the LMS Configuration URLs you will need.
We will provide you with:
- Domain / Launch URL
- JWKS URL
- OIDC Login Init. URL
- Redirect URLs
2. Create new Dev app in Schoology
District Admin of the LMS (One time only)
- In Schoology, Visit the App Center in top menu.
- Click My Develop Apps.
- Click + Add App.
- Add App Name: Twig Science
- Add App Description:Twig Science
- Choose categories: Science
- Select Instructors, Students and Admins in the Recommended For section.
- Select All Schoology Users Available for selection.
- Upload App Logo. This is optional. Twig Tech Support will provide a logo.
- Select LTI 1.3 App for Type of App.
- To have Twig Science open in a new window instead of an iframe leave Launch app in Schoology unchecked. To have Twig Science open in an iframe check Launch app in Schoology.
- Check Privacy settings as below.
- Configure LTI values as below for Thin Common Cartridge:
- For JWKS URL, Domain/URL, OIDC Login Init URL and Redirect URLS you can find the following values from your Twig Science Admin email.
- Click Save Changes.
3. Provide your Schoology Client Id to Imagine Learning Onboarding Team
We will ask you to provide your Schoology Client Id for us to begin the integration process.
Follow these steps to obtain your Schoology Client Id from Schoology:
- Log into Schoology.
- Go to API Information panel.
- Copy the Client ID.
- Send the Client ID to Twig Science Technical Support Agent.
4. Import the Thin Common Cartridge (TCC)
- Log into Schoology and navigate to your Personal Resource.
- Click the down-facing arrow in the menu and select Import.
- Choose the option to Import a Common Cartridge (.imscc) file as a new collection.
- Name the Collection and click Next. Note: Only following question types are supported in Schoology:
- Attach the .imscc file from your computer or device (provided by Twig Education) and click Next.
- In Schoology, enter the Unique URLs provided by Imagine Learning Onboarding Team. This will be a unique URL per district.
For each Assignment, change the Tool Provider to Twig Science (not “Automatic, based on URL”) and check Enable Grading for Grade Passback. Note: Google Slides and K6 Science Glossary are unsupported asset types at this time.
For more detailed instructions and a brief video, see the Installing Apps article in the Schoology Help Center.
5. Add .singleintegration.com to your safelist
Once you have finished setting up Schoology, you will need to add the following to your safe list: .singleintegration.com
What are my rostering options, when using a LMS like Schoology?
Districts that have already rostered via Twig Science for 2023 should continue as planned for the remainder of the year. However you can plan out the implementation with our Imagine Learning Onboarding Team for the next academic year. To enquire about switching to a LMS please contact Contact the Customer Success Manager to start the process.
How do students and teachers log in using Schoology?
Students and Teachers first log into Schoology then navigate to Twig Science app using credentials provided by the District. For more information about adding Twig Science to Schoology accounts please read: Installing Apps article in the Schoology Help Center.
Does my LMS Support Grade Passback?
Twig Assessment items will pass scores back to the Schoology gradebook. Schoology does not currently support content status feedback (turned in, not started, etc.) that are available for Twig Module Assets — these assets can be manually graded in the Schoology gradebook.